School Spirit‘Let the wild rumpus start!’

- Max

It’s been a week or two since I last updated this page, and a little bit has happened in that time. For now, I’ll fill you in on the dress up day we had a week back. Yes, there will be a photo…

Currently one of the teachers is on a trip through Europe and about to start the Fairy Tale Trail visiting various locations throughout Germany. To follow her travels, the grade is focusing on fairy tales for the term, which is good fodder for literacy and all sorts of other creative pursuits. The youngest grade is also using fairy tales as a theme, as is one of the older grades while they’re following the trip through Europe and researching some of the places being visited.

So, as a whole school event, we held a Fairy Tale (or story book) Character Dress Up Day.

Enter a whole fairy tale world of characters and creatures in the morning and lots of dresses, princess tiaras, woodsmen, Star Wars characters, Superheroes, Transformers… yeah. When in doubt the kids just dressed up as any character from a story they could think of!

I think I had no fewer than four Cinderellas in my grade alone.

From the window of the staff room I spied one little impy kid waddling around in a bright green gown that reached past his knees with little curl-toed felt boots, a purple hood and big plastic ears. I told the rest of the staff to call the day off, we already had our dress up winner! There was no way we could go past Dopey! The little bugger looked absolutely adorable!

Of course, we teachers weren’t to be out done. Not only were we going to dress up for a bit of a laugh, but we knew there was no way the kids would let us live it down if we didn’t.

So… I bought a few rolls of polar fleece, sweet-talked mum, and had a big, white onesie made with wolf feet and ears.

Come Friday morning, once the kids were sitting in the hall dressed in all their fairy tale regalia, I stepped out as Max from that classic children’s picture story book, ‘Where The Wild Things Are’ by Maurice Sendak.

I also adored the film and was more than excited to see how they imagined an entire movie from a book that was all of nine sentences long. I thought it was wonderful, although slightly dark and edgy and not really a children’s film if you looked deeper into it.

So yes. I spent most of the day dressed in a onesie wolf suit hiding bits and pieces around the school ground for a treasure hunt.

MaxSuitSitting600

Did they laugh?

Did they LAUGH??

Yup, but that’s what these days are all about, eh?

3 Responses to “Story Book Dress Up Day”
  1. Valkeiper2012 says:

I just discovered this blog. Looks like you have about as much fun in RL as the kids do in the comic. :-)

Anyway, I have a story arc idea for you. i don’t care if I get recognition for it (in fact, I’d prefer not to).

There’s a joke going around my campus I think you could use. Brylcreme would be the perfect one to start it off. I hope you understand the joke. If you don’t, think of “binary” as “base 2 numbers”.

the joke:
    There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand ‘binary’… and those who don’t.

2. Valkeiper2012 says:

at one point, Pandora could be explaining the joke to Liberty and Chastity could be trying to eavesdrop on them.

at another point, Casper could tell Chastity he doesn’t understand the joke, but knows who to ask about it (Miss Conway).

throughout the arc, you could also run the recurring gag of “if you don’t know, I’m not going to tell you”

3. Kelly Rogers says:

I bet the kids loved it! http://www.etsy.com/shop/trendyartz

4.